Tuesday 21 December 2010

Mr Fry, would you mind narrating all audiobooks please?



I love reading. Didn't used to. I'm one of those people where it has to be an extremely good book if I'm to have even the slightest chance of getting through it. I'm not one of those people who particularly loves the smell or feel of a book, in fact I've always found books to be slightly awkward to hold, never finding the ultimate comfy position. So when I discovered the audiobook format I was encouraged. They started out pretty expensive but, like all technology, they came down in price once the competition kicked in.

Key to the audiobook is the narrator. Some stories need a certain type of voice. For instance, I spent a couple of days on a sun lounger listening to Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows last year. I couldn't think of a better person to be the voice of JK Rowling's amazing creation. In fact, I have just bought the Fry Chronicles to listen to at the gym. He has one of those very interesting voices doesn't he?

Oh, I also got over my book lethargy with an ebook reader. I can fly through books now, so I'm guessing it was the constant reminder of how large the book was that squashed my enjoyment.

Back to audiobooks. They're great for long car journeys. I have devoured Sherlock Holmes books on trips to see family and friends, sometimes driving slower if I know I can finish a book. I've chuckled to Nick Hornby books as I whip up a storm in the kitchen. I've fallen asleep too many times to Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers. I've now rowed several thousand metres to Mr Fry's life story.

What a joy it is to still have books in our lives as the publishing landscape changes. It seems that with audiobooks, ereader formats and interactive books for the iPad, the future of publishing will be about choice. And for me, that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment